TV violence and Children Aggression

by Chassidy Franceschi, June 2014

1200 words

4 pages



Research has been conducted to test the relationship between aggressive behavior and media violence. This research has utilized various methods and as been a basis for key theories. Aggressive behavior in this context refers to harmful behavior directed to harm other people. “However, it is necessary to note that the research is conducted under the assumption tat severe violent act such as acts of homicides are a result of various factors” (Brad, 1).

Such acts cannot be blamed on the media but they are a consequence of several factors such as biological factors e.g. community, family or peer influence. Also other factors e.g. frustration over which the child has little or no control over.

Over the years, violence has directly increased in proposition to the increase in TV Violence. The number of people accessing TV violence is constantly increasing with the increase in accessibility to Television. By 1998, the number of homes accessing TV in America had increased to 7.25 hours daily from an initial 4.5 hours daily in the 1990s.Consequently the number of violence acts in society is dramatically increasing. On one hand television is seen as a window and mirror of society. As a window, it helps individuals to observe what is happening in other societies. As a mirror, TV violence represents the society. It reflects what is happening in the society. As Glenn notes

‘In the day s and weeks that followed all these violent episodes, the media discussion mirrored the same themes”. (Glenn, 2)

However, many scholars have been opposed to this view. The critics claim that the violence on television is much higher than what happens in reality. E.g. only 87% of crimes happening in society are property crimes. On the other hand, the TV crimes constitute of only 13% property crimes.

Research methods

Research has been conducted to show how the TV violence affects children. Different methods have been used to reveal the relationship between media violence and aggressive behavior in children. One method is the use of longitudinal field studies. This method has been very effective in proving the long-term impact of watching TV violence. When analyzed, studies showed that an overall effect of .19 antisocial behaviors occurred as an effect of TV violence. This is a small to medium effect that is obviously significant. Many research analyses that utilize the longitudinal study method have attracted massive public attention due to their compelling findings. In another study utilizing a longitudinal study method, in 1972, Walder, Eron, Huesmann and Lefkowitz found that the relationship between a male child of 8yrs who has been exposed to violence on TV and the consequential behavior ten years after was .31. In addition, the same studies revealed that if such children were exposed to TV violence when they were above 8 years to 18 years, there would be zero relationship between aggression and TV violence.

Another method that has been used to show the evidence between violence and Television is …

Download will start in 20 seconds


Note that all papers are meant for inspiration and reference purposes only! Do not copy papers in full or in part. Papers are provided by other students, who hold the copyright for the content of those papers. All papers were submitted to TurnItIn and will show up as plagiarism if you try to submit any part of them as your own work. Assignment Lab can not guarantee the quality of the user generated content such as sample papers above.